24 February 2005

sick in the worst kind of way.

that's a line from an erykah badu song. "i want you," off the ep Worldwide Underground. ..it's just a bridge line, uttered with a quick softness that lingers as she stretches out the last syllable -- "sick in the worst kind of way-ay-ay-ay-ay-ay" -- until the groove of the bass overtakes it.

one line. has been stuck in my head for three days.

because, god. there is so much that gets put into play with her speaking those words: it speaks to that moment where one person suddenly takes over your entire scope; when, without any hint of premeditation, suddenly all of your shit is switched up. i'm not talking about being in love---i'm talking about being INTRIGUED. talking about that moment when she brushes her hip against yours as she glides out of the bar and you can't quite restrain yourself from shouting "You fascinate me!" after her. Fascinate? she just bumped into you. it was a SEXY bump, sure, but, fascinate? that's the best we can do? f me.

i've no idea how it works. but the slightest words and least intentional looks from her are prone, right now, to devastate my ability to catch any train of thought. to stick with anything. except perhaps for my dedication to the devastation of the motion of hips, as bootsie might say.

so, sick. the worst kind of way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how nice that you have a song stuck in your head that makes you ponder something that at least might be worthwhile. i, on the other hand, have an ashlee simpson couplet pogoing in my head. makes me wanna shove pliers up my nose to pull it out.

anon said...

I went to college with a girl who had "When the Saints Go Marching In" stuck in her head for almost TEN YEARS. If you caught even a hint of a whistle during drawing or art history, you knew it was Liz. I haven't talked to her in a couple of years, but from what I hear, she still whistles it on a semi regular basis.