26 August 2005

if I could just put it all into all I spit.

i haven't been around to post much lately. have been working quite a bit but even more have been working on my Dear Fat Kid piece trying to get 40 absolutely pristine pages laid down for grad school app purposes. it's starting to get pretty fun; i mean we're still in the first draft stages but close to having enough that i'll be able to spend the next weeks paring them down and playing around.

this past week my theme song, the one that my alarm plays when i try and wake up early so i can write some pages before work, is Rabbit Run from the 8 Mile soundtrack. i know, eminem as creative auteur -- sophisticated shit. but that song is all about digging down and finding the momentum you need to lay down words:

i'm like a skillet bubbling until it filters up
i'm about to kill it, i can feel it building up
blow this building up, i’ve concealed enough
my cup runneth over, i done filled it up,
the pen explodes and busts, ink spills my guts
you think all i do is stand here and feel my nuts;
well i'mma show you what, you gonna feel my rush
you don’t feel it, then it must be too real to touch
i'm about to tear shit up
goosebumps, yeah, i'mma make your hair sit up.

that's my battle cry. next week it might be the girl from ipanema, or whatever, but for now Em's got my back. the pap below is excerpted from pretty early on -- it's probably nonsense without any context at all, but, hell. i'm still writing this chapter and Patois has proved an unexpectedly fun character to write.

No comments: