22 December 2004

..is not a test: i'm Rapping to the Beat.

when i awake with a song already stuck in my head--not one i've heard recently--it gives me small and soporifical pause. for i know that the song was either a) featured on the soundtrack of my dreams or b) said dream was about my own fantastic rock star/karaoke master career. but i can never remember my dreams. or very very rarely. when i do, they cover a very limited scope of plot lines that are not particularly instructive (me & friends as members of scooby gang, me as USA cable indiana jones knock-off, britney [played by myself] reuniting with justin and escaping to a private island out in the deep blue). that i can never lock down where the song came from only increases my pleasure in singing helplessly along as i make my way through the opening bars of another devastatingly impactful day.

lately, though, i've found myself awaking with an odd subset of the dream-song-in-my-head paradigm: a specific set of lines. today it was

well they say that miracles never cease:
i've created a devastating masterpiece

from a psychoanalytastical standpoint, this is simply RIPE for deconstruction. fortunately, i know nothing at all about psychoanalysis and happen to think that all psychoanalysts are gay. so, another piece of substantial introspection narrowly averted, i am free to traipse down to my post at the coffeeshop, announcing to the world at large that

i said he's a fairy, i do suppose
flyin' through the air in pantyhose

he may satisfy you with his little worm
but i can bust you out with my SuperSperm.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

without a chorus, your just random bars stuck in my head.

scs said...

huntsman, how can you not connect this most funkalicious song MOST DEFINITIVELY to our road trip from Santa Barbara to Seattle in May 1997. How. Or was that just a dream too, Britney?

Unknown said...

WHO SINGS THIS SONG!?!?!

i need it for a history assignment (haha dont ask) and i cant find it anywhere!

it goes like "this my friends is not a test, im rapping to the beat..." but i forget the name and artist!

your the only thing i could find on google related to this!

could you send me an e-mail at ben.gorske@gmail.com!?!

THANKS SO MUCH! love the blog/s.

-Ben

huntsmanic said...

hey dude. thanks for the props. the group is sugarhill gang. the song is rapper's delight -- if you take out that blondie song where she raps/talks, it was the commercial debut of rap. which is so funny. the line is, "now what you hear is not a test / i'm rapping to the beat." he needed to open that way; it was the first time most peops had heard rap, they didn't know what it was. mike doughty has a great riff about being at an early grandmaster flash concert in new york, and this great big woman behind him hollering, over and over, HE'S JUST TALKING! HE'S NOT EVEN PLAYING AN INSTRUMENT. HE'S JUST TALKING INTO THE MICROPHONE!